Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Right on Time

Joel Christian Goedecke was born July 9 1:10pm 8lbs 1oz 21 inches long

He came right on time - his exact due date. I woke up early that morning with awful contractions and didn't start thinking anything of it since its been that way for days now but once they started coming closer I woke Brent up, we called my mom and then left for the hospital once she got here. We got to the hospital at 7am and they hooked me up to all the monitors and then told me it was probably false labor but they would monitor me for 2 hours and then if no change they would send me home. They said my contractions weren't very strong (which i disagree) and I was still at 1cm when I went in and I guess my contractions needed to be stronger to make it progress. So for 2 hours we were very discouraged thinking we would go home. I was worried since I was having to breath through the contractions already how would I do that with Colin at home and what if it took a few days. They did the stress test which I had scheduled for the afternoon to get that out of the way and then they were writing the discharge papers around 9:30 when they checked me again just to make sure and I was at 4cm. This after my contractions had started to get further apart. Brents favorite part was at hearing this I let out a big "YIPPEE WOO HOO" (what Colin always says) because I was so relieved not to get sent home. Well then the doctor came to check on me 20 minutes later because she couldnt believe I could go so far with such wimpy contractions and I was at an 8. At this point all the nurses came in to see the girl whose contractions were mild (yeah right) and was smiling and talking through them. And I got checked again by another nurse. Not so fun being checked so many times! At that point I requested an epidural because I kept thinking about the 3 hours of surgery after having colin and didnt want to go through that again without one. They also wanted to slow labor down since the doctor was doing a csection and in case I tore really again they weren't going to deliver without her. I could still feel everything and move around which I couldnt when I had the epidural with Colin. But I wasn't allowed to move since they said once my water broke the baby would come so I just laid there, watched Gilmore Girls and watched Brent pace back and forth :) Once the doctor came back she broke my water, 8 pushes later Joel was here. And I did tear pretty bad again. The doctor said I am just prone to that. I had a 2nd degree tear where I tore last time and then during one push I felt a pop and that was more tearing. So that part wasn't fun but he does have a big head. They had to put a special hat on him because he couldnt wear the smaller ones. But I was up and walking withing hours and feel so much better this time. And he is just perfect. We are so in love with him already. Colin loves talking and kissing him. He has had several meltdowns with the fact that mommy isn't all his anymore but he is adjusting better more and more each day. He did try to take out Joel's car seat and has asked me to put baby Joel back in my tummy. Colin is also convinced that Daddy can feed baby joel just as well as mommy and keeps trying to prove it. Its an adjustment for all of us but we are very excited he is finally here and can't wait to see Joel's personality come out. We have two very handsome boys.And don't worry - we have lots more pictures to come of this little guy. but here are links to some my sister took.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=90150&id=761847560&l=ec195aca85

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=89979&id=761847560&l=f169958c27

4 comments:

Jen said...

yay!!! :) congrats!!!

Nystral Djo said...

congratulations!! i thought in your absence you might have had a baby ;)

Michelle said...

Congrats, Abigail and family! As a side note, I am surprised that your doctor didn't go ahead and give you the "big E" instead of letting you tear. You poor thing. But I guess that is neither here nor there at this point. Maybe next time (YES! I said next time!!!) they will think to do that. Many blessings and a quick recovery to you!

Bringing Up Boys said...

Congratulations, praying that your transition to a family of four is an easy one! Love and hugs from our home to yours :).