Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Sunday, July 19, 2009

My son...... the lumberjack!


This is a rare post by "the dad!" I must say that it really is my proudest moment since being a father! But I also warn you before you go further, there is plenty of potty talk in this one. As Abigail has been saying, it has been a struggle to get Colin potty trained. There is nothing I want more than to be done with diapers (oops, there goes that thought Joel!) Anyways, I had just given up the idea that Colin will be potty trained any time soon and realized it will only happen in his timing. Abigail and I have heard too many stories where parents tried to "take control" and it only made the kids more fearful!

So a few days ago Colin had (well, in my opinion) his WORST blowout!!! I mean I was literally about to loose my lunch. And of course if I had asked Abigail (which I did) to take care of it, she only reminded me (yet again) of what she had just gone through! So with this experience fresh on my mind, Colin came up to me today and said he had to go poop!

I went in the bathroom with him and told him I'd read a book to him while he "attempted" to push (sounds like pregnancy all over again!). Anyways, we sat there and read and I knew nothing was going to happen, and it didn't. He kept wanting me to read more and totally lost interest. Hours later, I was in the kitchen cleaning up, when Colin runs in, "Daddy, I just pooped!" My face must have had a big scowl at that point as I assumed he had pooped on the floor (which has never happend.... yet). But then he says, "in the potty!" My next emotion was utter glee!!!! Yes, I just used that phrase. We ran into the bathroom together and sure enough. There IT was. I was SO PROUD!!!! I was praising him while giving numerous high fives! That's our usual pee in the potty celebration. I really was about as proud as could be as I never thought this day would come. Now I am keeping it all in perspective as I'm sure he will regress a bit, but this is the start of what I hope will be the END!!! ha

The other funny part was right after, Abigail had Colin call his Ant Ant and grandparents to tell them of his big accomplishment. The conversation with his grandpa went as follows: "Grandpa, I just pooped in the potty!!! I just waited and waited, and it came out!" Abigail and I were laughing so hard at this point. Aaaah, the little milestones in life are the most exciting thing going on right now!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

what a great story!! oh - and i love the hampton beach shirt!

Michelle said...

That is great! Way to go "Big Boy" Colin!!! Keep do do doing that!