Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Monday, September 21, 2009

What a day

Today was a day. This morning went well. We played, Colin was feeling better, Joel is on a great schedule lately: sleeps, eats and then naps an hour after he eats. So this afternoon we ventured out on a walk. Lately we've been going on HOUR long walks where we look for bears or lions. Colin will tell me which way to go and we've had fun exploring parts of our neighborhood we haven't seen before. Colin walks the whole time and we have fun finding "clues" Makes for an easy bedtime. But today he wanted to go fishing so we brought his fishing pole and went to the lakes near our house. We walked along the lakes while Joel slept in the carrier and just kept going until we got to Colin's favorite playground. I let him play for a little bit and then told Colin it was time to go because I needed to feed Joel (he had woken up by this time) I had contemplated feeding him at the playground but there were only metal benches and there was no way I could sit down on those. Colin said OK mommy. And then the next thing I knew I heard crying and then saw this:So I scoop up Colin. Make him ride piggy back on my back. I have Joel in the carrier on the front. A fishing pole in one hand and I'm calling Brent with the phone with the other hand and then rush as fast as I could home. What usually is a 30 minute walk I did in 10 minutes. I leave Colin in the kitchen because blood is going everywhere. (And I take this picture because Brent told me just to put a bandaid on it at first since he was at work and didn't see it) Feed Joel enough to get to the doctors and then planned on feeding him more there. We get into the car. Drive to Patient First which is less than 5 minutes. When we get there they take us back right away and then tell me if Colin wont cooperate they would send us to the CHKD hospital to be sedated and then stitched up. I plead with Colin and finally convince him to lay on top of me on the exam table. At this point Joel is screaming but I didn't want to move since who knows when I would get Colin back on the table. He kept whispering to me "mommy lets grab baby joel and then run out of here" haha poor guy. Colin was scared to death and SCREAMED the whole time. I had to hold his head, a nurse held his jaw, another nurse held his arms, and another nurse held his legs just for the doctor to put 4 stitches in. And it took over an hour to do those 4 stitches. At one point I begin to question the numbing stuff they used because there was no way he was only feeling them pull the string. And then I thought it would've been better to go to the hospital and have him sedated. Joel screamed most of the time and got passed from nurse to nurse who all tried everything but he was just hungry. So between Colin and Joel I'm sure the other patients were wondering what was going on. The doctor was dripping sweat when it was all done. Brent got there halfway through it and said he walked by a nurse holding Joel and thought that the baby looked familiar :) But its done. Now we have to wait 5 days and GO BACK to get the stitches out. I haven't told Colin that part yet. And Colin got to go to Chick-fil-a for dinner and proudly put the sticker the doctor gave him on his wall.
Our brave boy holding his sticker. Between Colin being sick yesterday and then getting hurt today I'm hoping for a very boring day tomorrow!

7 comments:

Uncle Jeff said...

I love it - he still has the bloody shirt on!

sarah said...

he look is so not happy in the last picture. My brave boy!!! Good luck getting him back to patient first!

Julie said...

oh my, did you ever find out what happened? How he busted his chin? I am definitely praying for you to have a boring day tomorrow! So sorry about that. Wow.. you are a super mom!!!

Anonymous said...

He was very excited last night on the phone as he told MamaMaa all about it. Hopefully he was able to sleep and settle down some.
Dad

k.oldt said...

oh my goodness abigail, i wish i could have been there to help out, or at least if rob was home he could have stitched him himself :0), let me know if you need anything, rj hopes colin feels better

Michelle said...

Ouch! You are a woman of courage!! Way to go! You held it together when the stress level was at a max. I just keep dreading the day when we have this experience - I know its just waiting around the corner.

Aunt Angela said...

Love the bloody shirt! :)