Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

options

Colin has been perfecting the art of bedtime stalling. Its actually comical sometimes what he comes up with but I have started giving him options when he starts stalling and it seems to work. For example, options of carrots or crackers when he is so hungry his tummy is telling him to "feed me!" Or if he is slowly playing with his toys instead of picking them up he has that option to play for 5 more minutes but doesn't get bedtime stories. He has to decide that minute and then can't complain or whine afterwards or he gets nothing. I think he actually goes to bed faster since we've been doing this. So far so good with this technique. And he will start asking for options for other things like lunches or snacks.
Another thing that Colin has been doing is running to Joel the minute he hears Joel stirring from his naps. He hates the fact that Joel has to sleep. "But he wants to watch his big brother play. I can't see baby joel's eyes. I don't want baby Joel to take a nap." I hear this every day each time I put Joel down to sleep. He will literally sprint if we are outside and he hears Joel on the monitor. He will burst open the door and climb into the crib and cuddle with Joel. Its really cute. But today I saw him practically leap into the crib and it made me worried that he might land on Joel. So I told Colin "you have to be very careful if you want to snuggle with Joel. I don't want you falling on him, kicking him (as he swings his legs over the side of the crib) or sitting on him." To which Colin responded. "Ok - are those my options?" It took me a minute and I realized that Colin hadn't heard me say DON'T as I gave him that list. But my 7 week old baby has outgrown the cradle. He looks so little now in the crib. He was scooting over to the side of the cradle and then getting his legs and arms stuck in the railing and then when he would move I was scared he would break something since he would start struggling and moving his arms and leg. So he's in the crib now. Thank goodness for bumpers. The other day Colin held Joel for almost an hour and they sat and cooed and smiled at each other the whole time. It was so precious.

And Colin wrote me a message yesterday that when translated said "I love you mommy. I so glad you got me baby Joel."

4 comments:

Julie said...

options work great with Eli too and Oh my goodness I love the last picture and of them in the crib together... how sweet!

Sarah said...

do you realize Joel has the same expression as Colin does in the picture on the right - the blog pic (the 4 of you in the hospital)?

Jen said...

oh my gracious that is so sweet!! it's so hard for me to picture eden as a big sister....but i guess it does happen! enjoy your boys today :)

Bringing Up Boys said...

I love that first picture of Joel... his will you take the picture already expression is priceless ;).