Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Sunday, October 28, 2012

sleep

Its almost comical now that when Brent is away the kids dont sleep.  At all.  But when I go away for a night they sleep for daddy.  I need to figure out his secret but here's what happened last night.  I thought it would be fun to document so maybe when my kids get older and I'm sad how they are growing up so fast that at least I will like that they will be sleeping since I wont miss nights like these :) 

I had taken the kids over to yorktown for the afternoon.  Worked out perfectly since it was raining at my house when we left but didnt start raining in yorktown until we came home. The boys got into Uncle Jeff's watermelons he grew this summer.  There were two of them on the deck.  Lets just say some butter knives, a few excited boys, some exclaiming "we're fruit ninja's!" and you get this:

We stayed for dinner.  Kids didnt need any dinner after that!

Drove home around 8ish. Sweet Colin told me softly in the car driving out of the driveway - "Mommy, I miss How-How being there."  Me too kiddo. Me too. 

All the kids fell asleep in the car.  It was a little eerie driving over the bridge tunnel with the waves so high. Almost to the top of the pilings.  Drove into the driveway and ran over a huge stick I didnt see.  Hoping its not too bad.  haven't gone back out to see.  It just scratched the car so good thing Brent is good friends with a great paint guy.

But get the kids in bed.  Norah had woken up but got her back down. Sat down at the computer to look up the latest info on the hurricane, research some christmas present ideas.  Talk to Sarah. 

Joel wakes up. Complains about his stomach - says he's going to throw up. (eating two watermelons and tons of choclate candy will do that to you)  I dont do well with throw up - even after I got so sick for months pregnant with Norah.  Still not what I like.  Put towels on his bed and mentally think of how I can get away with waiting until Brent gets home to clean it up if he does get sick.  Get Joel back down.  Go to bed.  Its around 10:30 by now.

11:00 Joel wakes up.  He is not an easy person to deal with in the middle of the night. He's been having night terrors.  I will be glad when Halloween is over so we can drive out of the neighborhood without seeing fake bodies in the trees.  Seems thats now a common thing in our neighborhood. 

Joel wakes up Norah.  Joel doesnt understand that to get Norah back down I have to put him down and pick up her to rock her back down since he's crying and waking her up.

12ish... finally get Norah and Joel back down.  Go to bed. Took me a while to fall asleep this time.

Sometime around 1:00 Joel ended up back in bed with me.  But at least he went right to sleep so I left him there. Power had gone out but thankfully was back on.

2:00 Norah wakes up.  Thinks its time to play.  Change her diaper, feed her, rock her, sing to her. 

3:00 Norah still up.  Started to regret the caffeine I got to drink on the way home so I could be alert for the drive.

4:00 Norah finally goes back to sleep.  So do I.

5:30ish Joel wakes up ready to go. And he's loud. GET ME SOME MILK! I NEED TV! so I'm blurry eyed but trying to calm him down and not wake everyone else up is hard. I also dont want to give in when he's so demanding. At least he never threw up and feels fine.

Colin woke up. 

Get the boys to the couch and covered up with blankets.  Go to the kitchen and start making tea.  Realize I only have decaf.  Brent can always fall back asleep on the couch with the kids watching tv in the mornings.  I can't.

And Norah slept until 8.  She is usually up at 5 but her late night partying made her sleep in.

Usually the kids do better the second night.  And so do I - I think we're all so exhausted from the night before that we all just crash.  It also probalby doesnt help me sleeping when I leave the bathroom light on.  Since you know the killers wont come and get me when Brent is gone if the bathroom light is on....It was also so stormy and windy that it kept waking me up.

At least Brent is home now. 

I am always amazed at my military friends and their wives who do this all the time.  It takes a very strong woman to be a military wife. 

No comments: