Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Friday, December 23, 2011

Busy Week

We have had a busy but fun week.  I think we have had something planned every day and night this week.  I didnt do very well taking pictures and I wish I had at some moments.  Laura and I took the kids to the Winter Wonderland Museum in Portsmouth and Joel was in awe.  Joel would say "wow" when he walked into the room.  I loved watching him look at everything. I think he was the perfect age to take.

Our community group went caroling wednesday night and Colin LOVED it.  He would stand right in front with his song sheet out and "read" it.  He tried to follow along and was so proud to get his own song sheet.  He just started learning to read and we knew he couldn't read the words but he was so cute I wish I had gotten a picture of him singing with his song sheet.

But I did get lots of pictures yesterday.  We had our annual gingerbread house party (its now the second year so I think we can start calling it annual)  This year I read on a few blogs that you can build the houses out of graham crackers the night before and they will be sturdy enough to decorate.  I had forgotten to get milk cartons so I tried it this way. 

Not too bad.  They were all a little different because I could only get 1 roof to stay perfectly.  But it was sturdy by the time the kids were ready to decorate. 
 All 5 kids stuffed their faces with candy.  (Next year we are adding 2 more girls to the group.  Laura is due 3 weeks before me with a little girl.  Works out perfectly!)

The older ones got creative with their houses.  Noah had gum drops for lights all around.  They made snowmen out of gum drops and toothpicks.
 I don't even want to know how much sugar Joel ate yesterday :) 
It was fun but I will definitely go back to using milk cartons to support the structure.  20 minutes after they were done the houses mainly looked like this:
They caved in.  And then Joel took a spoon to his because he thought it made it easier to eat.  I felt bad since the big kids had some neat designs on theirs.  Nathan's is the only one that didn't fall apart.  Probably because there are only a few pieces of candy on it. I guess the weight of all the candy and frosting was too much for the graham cracker.  
The kids exchanged gifts and these glasses came in Colin's gift.  He loves them.  Joel does too and we had to tape them together after Joel broke them. 
 Colin walks around holding the glasses and squinting.  (probably since mommy needs new glasses)
I love it. 

Brent took today off and Colin is off for Christmas Break.  Its nice having both of them home. Brent has worked a half day on Christmas eve the past few years so I'm enjoying having him home today.   It was nice having everyone home this morning.  The boys slept until 8.  A wonderful Christmas present to me :) Brent took the boys outside and I'm off to take a nap.

No comments: