Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Friday, November 04, 2011

Names

Naming this baby girl has been harder than the boys.  Mostly because we can't agree.  I thought I'd write out some of the names we've thrown out and also Colin's comments because they are pretty funny.

Molly - I like it - brents friends parents named their dog molly which we've never seen so according to brent thats out. Colin just mentions how he doesn't even have a dog to name and thinks we need to get a dog too like those people who named their dog molly. 

Naomi- we both like it but Colin is adamant that Naomi is a BOYS name

I LOVE Norah.  not sure why but I really like it - Brent isn't sure on it.  Colin also likes Norah but thinks her middle name should be Flower. Norah Flower Goedecke.  I think we'd pick Norah Elizabeth but thats just us :)  But then I was watching Parenthood last night and they named the baby Norah on it and now I don't know - maybe that will start a Norah trend with baby names and she'll have 50 norah's in her school. 

Colin loves Heaven. There is a girl in his class named Heaven and he thinks its just such a pretty name to say.  Only thing is Heaven likes to talk a lot in class. So he doesn't want his little sister to be the talker in class. (heaven is only on Colin's list - not ours)

Other names we've thrown around - Julie, Leah, Audrey, Emma and I'm sure there are others.  When you ask Joel he just says "babys a girl" Colin loves to go over names with me when we're in the car  together.  He also likes Emily. 

So we'll see what we end up with. I look at the baby name websites - write out my top names for the day and brent will come home and veto all of them. :) But I told him since i'm the one carrying the baby I do have the final say. 

And if you don't like any of these names don't tell us.  She'll read these comments one day and it might be the exact name we pick :) 

We are also passing all these names by with the kids to see how they get pronounced.  If Mary hadn't named her cat lily then  Lillian would be on the list but now we know Colin can't pronounce lily and calls the cat Larry.  And i have found myself calling lily "larry" myself so we just want to see any possible nicknames the baby might get right away.

7 comments:

sarah said...

Brian and I have had a boy's name picked out since before we were married. Now that a lot of our friends are having babies, I cringe waiting and praying that they don't name their kid our name. I tell Brian we shouldn't share the name with anyone anymore in case they decide to steal it, haha!

Michelle said...

Girl names were the hardest for us, too. Our Ashley was almost Erica. Taylor was almost Heather. Best advice: whatever you choose is the name that your little one will become. Sounds like you have a bunch of safe names. If it was up to Taylor to name Ashley 2 years ago, she would have been Potato Grande. Yeah. That's what I said. Cute, but not so much. Funny thing is that I do find myself calling Ashley, "My little potato." hee hee

Julie said...

that is awesome, I certainly love julie :) I love how Colin thinks, he is so precious!

Angela said...

I laughed when I read Sarah's comment, because James and I have had names picked for a VERY long time. And I want you to know Abigail that if you name your baby girl one of our names, then one day she will just have a cousin with the same name. :) We aren't copying you, but I'm not changing. Not sharing what those names are though.... don't want to give you ideas. ;) But I didn't see any of them on the list so far. And I also really like the name Norah.

Uncle Jeff said...

I think you should go with Pat. That way, if the doctor was wrong, you don't have to scramble for a new name

Kristin said...

Am I allowed to vote?? If so, I vote for Molly. I think it's so cute! Collin, Joel, and Molly... has a ring to it.

Ps. Thanks for the sweet comment on my latest blog. It all kinda came together pretty fast, sorry I didn't extend the invite!

Praying for Sweet Baby Girl!

Nystral Djo said...

well i personally think leah and lily are both great names - then there's also samantha ;)