Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Bloodwork

This morning I took Joel to get bloodwork done. His doctor wanted to check a few things. She’s worried his body isn’t regulating insulin right. He was super nervous. He’s done this twice before but it’s been several years and usually the doctor sends us right away and he doesn’t have a day to overthink it all. 
The first nurse couldn’t find a vein. He went to find another nurse. She came in and was wonderful. She was patient and talked everything through for Joel. She felt around a long time and finally found a vein. Joel’s commentary had her dying laughing. 

“What’s that!?!??” “I feel SLIME! I FEEL SLIME” (the alcohol wipe)

“Now there’s glue! WHY ARE TOU GLUEING ME?” (Feeling her gloved fingers touching his arms)

She then stuck him and he looked over at his arm and about passed out. I thought he was going to faint but then he looked again at his arm and said “where’s the blood?” (The vein rolled)

She didn’t want to keep sticking him so she went to get another nurse. Joel told her before she left that he should’ve just let her have his blood when she stuck him (like he had a choice)

The 3rd nurse came in and asked how school was going and if he had any friends. Joel said it’s virtual I have no friends. 

nurse -“ well you can be my friend. Do you want to be my friend?”

Joel -“I just met you” 

Nurse - “well I’m about to stick a needle in you so you want me to be your friend”

She got it right in. And Joel was amazed at how fast his blood was coming out. Then she switched containers and took 5 big vials off blood. 

Joel - “I’m losing too much blood!!!!”

There’s more I’ve forgotten but it’s just daily life with Joel. He keeps us all laughing. And hopefully we won’t have to give blood again for a long time. 

 

No comments: