Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Friday, September 30, 2011

One month down

We have finished -well almost, we will by lunch time have completed a month of school.  Colin loves it more and more which is good. It was hard at the beginning because he wouldn't say whether he liked it or not.  That indifference was hard to figure out.  Ant Ant came and surprised him the first Friday and she took this picture of him running to her when he realized Ant Ant was his surprise.  Every day I hide a little surprise around the house and Colin has to find it.  One day it was marbles, another day a little lego minifigure, usually its a piece of candy. He loves when his surprise is Ramen for lunch.  So easy to please!  So it varies but the fun is in the hunt for Colin.  Today my mom is coming over and will be his surprise.

Colin seems more relaxed this week about school.  He is getting into the grove and comes home and tells me all the fun things they are doing. Yesterday they were scientists and went around the school looking for some type of clues.  His favorite part of school is Music Class.  Every friday.  Makes getting through the week easier because he literally counts down until music class. He also loves going to the library and picking out his book each week and Art class is also one of his favorites. I'm impressed with the papers he brings home and am so proud of my sweet boy.  His teacher said he's a very hard worker. And it makes me glad because I did spend a few weeks lying awake at night wondering if we made the right decision.  I think a lot of this has been for me to really trust God with my little boy. 

He has met with the speech therapist - who he loved - a few times so now we are just waiting for her evaluation.  His speech has improved tremendously.  A lot of it we've realized is stress so now we can at least know when he's worried about something because he doesn't really tell us those things. Hopefully the speech therapist can work on that so he wont struggle with that the rest of his life. Because stress is a part of life. I do like his school. I walk him into his class every day - he's not quite ready for me to drop him off yet and everyone there is so friendly and makes it a fun place to be.  I've also started volunteering once a week in the school which has been fun. 

I still hate the fact that he is gone.  And he's only gone three hours a day.  I wonder if you ever get used to your kids being gone all day. Joel still walks around the house saying "go get Bubba at skool bus now?"  and doesn't want Bubba to leave in the mornings.  But it is making the time we have with Colin seem that much more precious.

There is one boy who likes to hit and spit on the school bus.  I was telling Colin to stay away (he hasn't been hit - the other boy at the bus stop had)  when Colin said "mommy I know why he hits and spits.  He doesn't know Jesus.  Maybe I can show him"  Which was a little convicting for me but we talked about how he can show this kid love but still stay away when he's in his hitting mood.  (the kid now has to sit right behind the bus driver and hasn't hit anyone this week)

So I'm still wondering how I'm going to let Colin go ALL day next year but I'm also trying to take advantage of this time I have with Joel because once the baby gets here the mornings will be busy with the baby and then Colin demands a lot of attention when he comes home so Joel might get lost in the mix for a while.   And its fun playing with just Joel.

It is fun seeing Colin walk into his class, put his book-bag on his hook, take out his folder, and then move his frog name tag to another spot.  He's more confident and seems a little taller.  So we're getting through this whole school stuff - but I am looking forward to tuesday - he has an early dismissal.  And then we have to wait until November where he gets maybe 5 or 6 days off during the month.  (i have memorized all the school holidays)

Colin- we're so proud of you.

2 comments:

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Paragraph 5 def. made me tear up!