Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

First day of school

 Well we all survived the first day of school.  My kindergartener was bouncing off the walls so excited for school to start and all the new friends he was going to make. 
 He loves his backpack.  And a side note he loves to play ninjas. Only ninjas are stealthy and you aren't supposed to see them twisting and turning as they move across the room.  Sometimes mommy forgets he's a ninja and accidentally sees him. 
 But Colin was so excited.  And look - he's wearing tennis shoes. And socks. Thats enough to make this mommy cry right there. So grown up.  
 I think he grew up way too fast overnight.
 We have decided to take him to school and then let him ride the bus home.  It would take longer for us to walk to the bus stop than to get in the car and drive him to school. So we all took him to school yesterday. 
 Joel kept saying he was going to "ool" too and ride the "poolbus" like bubba. 

Colin walked right in his classroom and didnt look back.  I waited until we got outside before I started crying. And then cried the whole way home.  I can't imagine what it'll be like when I drop him off at college.  Joel cried too.  "I want bubba. I want bubba right here!!!"  so sad.  Brent didn't cry.  Thought we were both crazy
I pulled into the driveway to some great friends who were waiting with juice and donuts. I have amazing friends.  So instead of crying and worrying about Colin all morning, Joel and I had fun with friends.  Just what I needed.  Thank you so much girls!!!!  I can't even begin to say how much I needed that. 

This was Colin getting off the bus.  It was a little confusing because we were waiting on the other side of the street. And when I saw him my heart dropped.  He wasn't sure if he had a good day.  It was a little boring. They just learned a lot of rules and a girl sat next to him and cried the whole time for her mommy.  But then Ant Ant called and I got a little more information out of him and Daddy called and he told Daddy it was wonderful and then he told Ma-Ma-Maa that when he grew up he wanted to be a kindergarten teacher.  So I've learned to have other people call and ask about his day and he'll reveal a lot more information.  So overall I think it was good. Last night before bed he didn't want to go back but he went back this morning and as I walked him in he was pointing out all the places he went to yesterday (they did a tour of the school)  I think the first day of school is boring to go over all the rules and stuff and i think we had built it up so much it was a let down.  But he told Ant Ant that he would make friends eventually.  That will make it so much better. 

We got ready to leave today and my boy who never wants his picture taken asked me "aren't you going to take pictures this morning?" So I got out the camera.  And I didn't even cry walking back to my car today. A little sad but I didn't cry.  I'm still not a fan of having my kids leave me and go to school but I'm looking forward to my sweet boy having an amazing school year.  And for family members - get ready to buy lots of peanuts and wrapping paper. The stuff goes home next week :) 

No comments: