Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Monday, December 27, 2010

Blizzard of 2010

We came home Christmas night to a few snow flakes (it had been snowing off and on all day in Newport News)  And then woke up Sunday to about 8 inches with more snow falling all day.  I've heard we've gotten anywhere from 12-15 inches.  Its up to Joels waist and well over Colin's knees in our yard. 
The kids aren't as excited as I thought with all the snow.  Colin needs snow pants and no matter how much we layer him up he keeps getting soaked through and wet.  And Joel likes it for a few minutes but has spent most of the time outside crying or saying "mommy up!"  (he started calling me mommy this week)
I was taking some pictures of Colin and turned and heard Joel crying and holding onto the wall.  He couldnt move in all the snow.  Poor thing.
Brent and Colin built a snow fort and have had a few snowball fights. Brent vs. Mommy and Colin.  Basically I just make the snowballs for Colin as fast as I can. But at least i'm not getting pelted with them.  My kind of job. 
 At first Joel was a little upset we brought him back out in the snow this morning. I think he was hoping it was all gone by now. 
 But for a minute it wasn't so bad
 Feeding mommy snow was pretty fun for Joel.
 And then decided he was really ready to go back inside.

We are still using our makeshift sled from last year and it works great.  The kids had fun in it and this morning we went out sledding for a little bit. 
 Colin, Brent and I built a snow man while Joel was napping.  Colin was disappointed we didn't have a black top hat to put on Frosty since in the movie that's what made Frosty come to life.  He wasn't to thrilled about the snow man after that. 
 
Then he got serious and went to work making snowballs to pelt daddy with.  After a while he was aiming pretty well. Its fun to be snowed in.  Our road is a solid sheet of ice - great for sledding.  But by tomorrow it'll all start to melt away and Brent will most likely get to work Wednesday.  But for now we're enjoying having Brent home and playing in the snow.  I'm sure Joel will be thrilled tomorrow when we go back out in it.  haha.

1 comment:

Julie said...

in all the years I lived there we NEVER had so much snow... I am so jealous, we have some now but not like you... Jasper was the same as Joel last year...this year he LOVES sledding! I love your snowman, jasper kept saying we need to make one, but the snow isn't compacted enough here and he keeps saying"he needs a scarf mom" lol, our boys.
Hey what kind of camera did you get? I love your pics!!!! HUGS