Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Backward shirt

 Today the boys and I were running errands.  Well just one errand and then I realized how late it was getting and joel needed lunch and a nap so we quickly came home.  He's finally back on a pretty predictible schedule now - about time since its been months with his whole teething ordeal :)  and of course its right before we go away for the weekend and he wont get back on this nice schedule.  Such is life.  But at the store we were waiting in the check out line and the woman in front of us said to Colin " you know your shirt is on backwards."  (which it was but he dressed himself very proudly this morning. Blue polo and green cords. At least his clothes matched.  He was so proud of himself this morning and the fact that he got dressed before I could change baby Joel)  Colin just gave her a look and I was hoping it would stop there but then the woman told him at least 3 more times right in a row "you know your shirt is on backwards." Colin turned to me with tears in his eyes "mommy i did good this morning right?"  And before I could answer the woman turned to me and said "you know your son's shirt is on backwards." Like I hadn't been with him all morning to notice that. And while I wanted to say a lot of things to this woman, I said "yes I do. but he dressed himself this morning and did an excellent job and I'm very proud of him."  Colin beamed. The woman scowled but at least turned away and stopped talking to us. All too soon Colin will care about what he wears and try to fit in and lose some of the confidence he has in his clothing choices and in himself.  Since right now he's proud of himself.  I esp love his redskins pants and plaid shirt combination.  I want to protect my childrens innocence and child-likeness (is that a word?) as long as possible.  Their eyes will be opened soon enough to the ugliness of this world but for now I'm going to let my child wear his shirts backwards and continue to dress himself. 

oh and at the same store the woman behind us made a comment about colin's curls and how joel's hair is curling up.  Then she said "you dont see too many long haired boys around here.  Thats usually up in the mountains." haha this made me laugh because  i have seen a lot of long haired boys. I should've told her he was our little west virginia baby :) Wonder what she'd say if Colin had a mohawk.

No comments: