Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Kaitlin comes to visit


 The week before Christmas I got a call from my friend Kaitlin asking if it would be ok for her to come visit us in January.  OF COURSE!  We never turn away friends and especially for it to be Kaitlin.  I haven't seen Kaitlin in almost 3 years. She graduated the same time we left WVU but have kept in touch the past few years.  Kaitlin was in my bible study for 2 years and was and still is such a joy to be around.  We became great friends and I think really bonded over our weekly trips to MOPS each week (kaitlin babysat for us during MOPS) driving around the block a few times to get Colin to sleep in the car, or singing songs to get him to sleep :)  She was also brave enough to babysit during the fussy hour for us so Brent and I could go out to a quiet dinner.Colin just loved her.
 
 She is very encouraging and someone who opens up and not only shares her life but also wants to know all about your life.  We spent many hours at a coffee shop talking and praying together in West Virginia. Thats the one part about leaving wvu that I miss - I just loved my bible study girls and spending time with them. Kaitlin and I decided that we definitely need to get a bible study reunion with everyone soon. Kaitlin flew in from NY on Wednesday night and was greeted by Colin and Joel Thursday morning. (unfortunately Joel decided he couldn't sleep more than an hour at a time all week so I think at times we were a little out of it being sleep deprived) Colin was very intrigued by Kaitlin coming and kept asking who she was and wanting to see pictures of her before she came.  And in showing him pictures of him and Kaitlin when he was a baby really reminded me of how much Joel and Colin look alike. One of these days I will have to post them. And Colin was just in awe of Kaitlin. They became fast friends and had a blast together.  Joel loved to stare at Kaitlin and also shared in the playing time. There were lots of hugs, kisses, and snuggles given by all.
 
The weather turned warm and we spent a lot of time outside. The beach one day and Yorktown the next.  We spent the past few days talking and catching up while playing with the boys. And I know some of you have also gone almost 3 years without seeing Kaitlin so here are tons of pictures to enjoy!

 Isn't this little guy so cute!  He discovered the joy of eating sand.
 
 Joel is eating sand, Colin not looking at the camera. Typical for my life right now
 
 This picture makes me laugh since Joel looks so small and I look so big.
 
 Kaitlin and Colin had fun running down to the ocean
 
 Kaitlin playing airplane with Joel.  She also spent a lot of time snuggling with Colin reading books - even keeping him company in the potty with Clifford stories. She also started teaching Colin how to read. I'm thinking I should start working on that since he just kept soaking it all up.And Kaitlin even played at least 10 rounds of Candy Land in a row - and she taught Colin how to play without cheating (since he always wanted the green ones)
 
 Joel and I at Grace Church (below) Its in the historic part of Yorktown - also where Brent and I got married 6 and a half years ago. Friday the weather was just beautiful so we spent every minute we could outside. It was so relaxing because we just took our time and walked around Yorktown and let Colin play as long as he wanted. Joel just went with the flow. It was so fun to watch Colin just run around and get so excited about everything.
 
I just love it.

Colin loved running around the church and in and out and on top of the tombstones. Reminded me of all the times I did growing up too.

Playing in the graveyard. Its beautiful with the old tombstones and big shady trees. We ate lunch near the playground next to it.

 Joel loving his hugs and kisses from Kaitlin
 
I love this picture. Thank you Kaitlin for getting taking this for me!  She was able to get amazing pictures of Colin - maybe I just need to pass the camera off to people from now on.
 

 Colin was very interested in who was buried underneath each stone so we spent some time reading all of them. Its amazing the spelling of the old english and how they worded things.

 Then we walked down the street and saw some of the historic building. Like the one below. That is the Nelson house, one of the signers of the declaration of independence. There is still a cannon ball in the side of the house from the war. Colin thought that was very cool. But the best part of the house was the "maze" or the gardens. We spent a lot of time there.
 
 Colin liked to tell us to go through the maze and then told us to concentrate but if we got lost that he could come and help us find our way.  I'm so glad he was there because we would still be there all the times we got lost if he didn't come rescue us! ha
 
 Telling Mommy which way to go
 
 The maze. I promised Colin we would go back again very soon
 
 Our Colonists.  Aren't they cute. 
 
 The historian at the house was related toThomas Nelson.  He was his great great great great great grandfather and very proud of his heritage. It was fun finding out some of the family history firsthand. Colin was excited when he was told that the kids games were in the back room.  In the picture below you can tell that he doesn't believe Kaitlin that rubbing sticks together was a toy.


 
 But then he decided to try it. But he thought it was sad that the kids a long time ago didnt have toys! ha
 
We took Kaitlin back to the airport this morning and I think spent a few hours there afterwards playing in the terminal. We watched her plane take off and then colin wanted to play. He liked the people movers but really liked the escalators. Up then down, up then down.  Several times over and over. He also wants to go back to the airport and play again.
 
 Thank you Kaitlin for spending your vacation with us and loving on my boys. It was such an encouraging weekend for me that was greatly needed. We loved every minute of it and hope we get to see you again - hopefully before another 2 years go by.

No comments: