Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Little Picasso

Colin loves to paint and we have painted a lot the past several weeks. I had to go out and buy more paint because he'll sit there and paint for hours some days. My mom and sisters are very artistic so it runs in the family. I just supply the paint! haha I try to be artistic but have found its better to leave it to the experts. But on Thursday I took him to the Fine Arts Museum for their kids paint days. He loved it and was so excited about going somewhere to paint. It was really fun as they have a lot of different stations and different crafts, games to play with for the kids. Colin and the other kids did a great job sharing the paints and would always trade different colors when they were done with theirs. He loved being able to paint at an easel. His paintings were very good - he drew a cannon on one and titled it "boom boom boom" and made sploches where the cannon went off and left the "boom" (I thought it was very creative) The only thing was they didn't have any way to dry the paintings. I wish they had a hairdryer at least because all of Colin's paintings were sopping with paint So all the moms figured we'd just put the paintings between extra sheets of paper to get them home without getting our cars full of paint. We ended up going to visit my grandparents and then had dinner with my parents. I was halfway home thinking about Colin's paintings in the back when I realized they had dried and stuck to each other. oh well. We'll have more for Colin to add to his collection. I need to come up with some way to hang his creations. I have framed a few in his room and he is so proud of them but not sure how to make it so all his paintings at the time can be displayed neatly and look good. I would love any suggestions.

This is how Colin viewed the paintings at the museum - with his binoculars. Then he flipped them around and kept going "they are too far away"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it! He's just following in our awesome footsteps! An idea to display the art work is to get a wire and hang it along the wall in his room and get the photo clips to hang them on the wire. Or you can have him hold the finished painting and take a picture (to have a record of it) and make a Colin's artwork scrapbook with the photos and only frame the favorite ones - since he'll be painting and creating alot!

Anonymous said...

I would say playing the tuba is sort of creative... maybe he has an ear for music too, and will keep his baby sister awake at night with his practicing ;)

Anonymous said...

he definitly has an ear for music so we should encourage ALL the arts.... and yes, I remember well the tuba practicing when trying to sleep :) or colin could practice his modern art by painting his baby sister!

Bringing Up Boys said...

What Fun!

Another picture display idea would be to get a bunch of the Ikea magnetic strips that I believe come with a few magnets. THen you place them in a row right next to eachother to form a long line and they can be easily put up and switched out. Here is what it looks like http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30117169

Another idea would be to kind of morph the craft idea I put up on my blog this past Spring... instead of using it to put up pictures you could use the hanger craft to put up artwork instead. If you type Crafts for dummies in the search it box it should come up complete with picture examples.

Julie said...

I am so jealous...I love art and Eli hates it. He says he doesn't like to get messy... what in the world? He is a boy, isn't he? Doesn't like to get messy... don't understand him!

tifi*cha cha* said...

the top picture is soooo stinkin adorable!

Lacey said...

Hi - I found your blog from Emma's! :-) You have lots of great ideas for art hanging. I also buy canvas from the art store (particularly when it is on sale) and I first paint the background so it coordinates a bit more with our walls and then I let the kids paint the canvas and then I hang it up like the professional art that it is.