Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Friday, October 24, 2008

About a month ago - or maybe even less, my grandpa was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer. Surprisingly the neighbor across the street has this same type. But he went into the hospital last weekend when he got so weak he couldn't walk. So Colin and I came to help my grandma this week and be her personal drivers as she can't drive since her stroke. He was in icu for a few days and then was moved to his own room. And after they gave him his first dose of chemo he was feeling so much better and can now walk around and looks much better. He will be coming home tomorrow - and he is so ready to be home. We can't wait for him to come home either. What we understand from the doctor is that this cancer has a great response rate with the chemo and from what I saw yesterday they were right. Which is very encouraging to us all.
Colin and I were glad to come help and Colin has LOVED being here. The first thing he went for was the candy dish. Before I could stop him fist fulls of m&m's were being shoved into his mouth. So we put the m&m's up but he still charmed me and with his sweet "peas" (for please) he gets a few every time he walks by. He was very interested in the hospital bed and kept whispering to me "buttons mama, buttons - me push" which we didn't let him but he is really wanting to. He loved the little pond outside the icu wing of the hospital and would pretend his stick was his fishing pole (pole pole is what he calls it) and would fish for hours out there if we let him. Colin also found my uncle's old football helmet and he loves to go outside and play football. My uncle Jeff is coming tonight and bringing Colin a kitchen set and some other toys. It's going to be like Christmas for Colin when he wakes up from his nap. Colin and I will head back to va beach tonight but will be back next Friday if not sooner. Can't stay away from ooo-eee and howard too long!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Brent and Abigail -
This is the first time I have looked at your blog in ages and cannot believe how big and adorable Colin is now. Looks like you are having a blast as parents. I love the pictures and layouts and am inspired to step up my blog as a result. Many Blessings!

-Michelle Grande

Julie said...

I will pray for your grandfather... so great he is feeling better already.

Colin is so cute!!!