Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

First day of First Grade

 This morning started off good.  Joel is in Jedi training...(I think trying to stop Bubba from leaving today. He did not want me to take Colin to school)
 Colin was little excited.  And a lot nervous.  He did really like his teacher at back to school night. And so did I.  Two boys that were in his kindergarten class are in his first grade class so that made it fun for him and also gave him something to look forward to. And I didn't cry that night - I'm making some progress I guess.
I took him to school and he was really talkative. And then we started walking into the school and Colin said very softly, "mommy I'm a little scared" So I hugged him and said it was ok to be a little scared and then we went into school. I dropped him off at his class and he never looked back.  Watching him I just wanted to go give him another hug but its also really amazing to see your children face their fears and almost grow right before your eyes.  I did cry a little in the car on the way home but not anything like last year.
We came home and Kelly, Lucy, and Ellie  came over so Kelly and I could pretend we weren't watching the clock the whole morning :)  Thanks Kelly!  It really helped to have you there and feel the same way and also for Joel to be distracted from not having Bubba there. 
 (I took this picture when we were praying for Colin's day. I just quickly snapped it and love how his hands are the only thing in focus)

It was hard for me when the time came for when I used to get Colin from his kindergarten bus and to know that there were several more hours in the day for him at school.  Joel and I were more than ready to go get him from the bus stop. Colin was ALL SMILES.  Such a difference from last year where the poor kid could barely talk because he stuttered so bad and never said much about school the first month.  He hasn't stopped talking about it all night.  During dinner he said that he just wanted to go right back to school right away.  I am so glad.  It made me so happy to hear that.  I think its going to be a great year for him.  He is one happy happy boy today. 

The day just got better too when I went to get the mail.  Brent usually gets it when he gets home since our mail comes around 5:00 but for some reason I decided to go get it.  There was a letter from our insurance in there and I quickly opened it with a sinking heart since nothing we've gotten from them has been good. BUT it was a letter stating that we won our appeal and that our coverage was accepted.  I started crying - and I'm not usually such a crier but with the whole first day of school and then the whole summer trying to get this appeal ready - the tears came and I couldn't stop them.  Its been this weight on me all summer. 

Its been a wonderful wonderful day full of many answered prayers for school and our appeal. 

No comments: