Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Recovery


The pain finally hit Saturday afternoon for Joel. Poor thing.  But I was part relieved that he was feeling it.  It made him not move from that couch for several days.  It was amazing to see how quickly his bruises started to heal once he rested.  He kept saying he thought it was going to be fun after surgery, that we didn't prepare him for the pain. Sorry Joel, if you knew what was coming you wouldn't have been so cooperative!  Sometimes its nice to not know whats coming. 
I took the kids to see the new Lego Batman movie.  I figured it would keep Joel still for a few hours.  But then when we were sitting there I kept thinking what an awful idea this was because the seats could be full of bacteria and I kept making sure Joel's shirt was tucked into his pants.  Because his incision is at his waist he has to fold down his underwear and keep his pants low on his hips.  So he was relaxed but I was nervous the whole time!
Joel got tired of Norah going into his room so much so he made a sign.  As of right now he claims she owes him several dollars. Good luck Joel in trying to retrieve said money. 

Joel isn't allowed to do any chores.  In fact he told his class we were his servants because he can't do anything and he rings a bell. I gave him a bell to ring thinking it would keep him lying on the couch and I can hear it outside.  He likes to use it and I think as much pain as he's in right now, it will be a hard adjustment back to reality when he needs to start doing some chores.  He should enjoy it now while he can!


We can't take that masking tape off - its a special tape that the surgeon will take off. But he's starting to heal and except for this small hole at the right it looks really well. His skin is so tight at his waist - I keep thinking this is what a tummy tuck is like. 

 He is back at school.  But he comes home each day complaining how he can't play at recess and has to just sit on this one bench, looking out at everyone having fun.  Some kids come up and talk to him for a few minutes and that makes his day.  Also the kids that come up to him on his bench are his new BFF's - and I dont blame Joel for giving them that title.  Poor thing!  The weather has been so nice too for outside recess.  I've gone to pick him up early so he wont have to ride the bus and also because around then is when his pain medicine wears off.  He comes home exhausted.  Bedtime is so easy right now - he crashes but then he moans all night long.  I've been sleeping with him but I don't sleep much because I have to keep him from laying on his stitches. Brent was gone over the weekend for a previously scheduled work thing so all the kids slept in Joel's room. Norah and Colin were in sleeping bags - they all wanted to help take care of Joel. Colin has been really sweet to Joel and helping keep Joel still yet entertained.  

We go back to the surgeon tomorrow and I'm hoping he likes what he sees. I'm curious to see what is behind all the tape and dried blood.  Its been very comical how Brent and I have learned to bandage Joel's incision.  He could take off the original one after 48 hours but then we need to keep something there because we can't risk his pants/underwear hitting his stitches or Joel scraping it. So they gave me some gauze and tape as we were being discharged. The first time Brent was out of town and I had no clue. It was so bruised that I was afraid to hurt Joel and ended up using the entire roll of tape. Joel said it felt like a diaper on his hip.  Brent wasn't much better but we've been to the store several times and finally found gauze/tape that worked well.

No comments: