Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Monday, August 08, 2011

Baby's First Race

 This weekend we headed off to Richmond so Sarah and I could run the Henricus Dauber Dash.  We ran it last year and had so much fun we signed up again this year.  I had been back up to running 6 miles every other day or so this summer so figured it wouldn't be too bad if I just skipped some of the obstacles. Its a 5 mile run though the woods/along a lake and they have maybe 10 obstacles to do through out the race.  This year they had 2 mud pits and actually made you wade almost neck deep in some parts  through the water twice.  I didn't do half the obstacles.  And when I went around some of the the workers (all male) would yell at me to come back and do it but then when I would reply (I can't I'm pregnant) they would be very apologetic and then made a big deal about the baby as I went past. Then everyone who heard them would start sprinting past me - I guess they didn't want to get beat by a pregnant woman. So that part was embarrassing but it was a good race overall.  I ran/walked it. The first race I've ever walked - my goal usually is to do it without walking but I didn't want to push myself this time.
 The kids were entertained by the mud pit. Colin can't wait until he's old enough to do the kids mud run. Its also the first race that Brent has been to.  But I don't think he caught the running bug watching all of us run.... maybe next time :)
 My friend Jess now lives in Richmond and has become great friends with Sarah.  Which was great because she came to watch the race and hung out with us the whole day. I don't think we've seen her since Colin was a baby so it was fun to catch up. 

The rest of the weekend was spent hanging around Ant Ants apt and swimming in her pool.  We finally got a few videos of Joel in the water. He was even more fearless in the water and would stay under so long.  He's so proud of himself each time.

1 comment:

sarah said...

Fun weekend! Don't be embarrassed they sped up when you said you were pregnant. Think of it as a compliment because you were beating them with baby and they thought they were going fast. You just put them to shame and they had to step it up Haha!