Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Arts Camp

This past week Colin and I have been busy with Arts Camp.  I guess you could say its our church's version of VBS.  But the kids are enrolled in different classes : art, rhythm, dance, photography, creative writing, and audio/visual, singing.  There might have been more. Each kid was signed up for two classes and Colin chose singing and art.  I helped out in one of the Art classes as well.  The whole theme was construction "Work in Progress" which just thrilled my little construction worker.  It was so much fun.  A very busy week and lots of late nights going to bed but Colin just loved it.  I did too as I got to know so many people from the church.  We've only been going to this church since November so it was great to be able to really serve and feel apart of it all. My favorite part was just hanging out with Colin.  The drive there and back every day.  And also seeing him interact with other kids and having fun.  He was so cute every day when he walked past me and gave me a big smile and wave on his way to his class.  Today was the kids big performance day.  Colin has been learning "Blessed Assurance" in his singing class or as he said "Washed in his blood song mommy."  I wasn't sure how he would do but oh I wish we could find the cord to upload the video from our video camera.  It was so precious.  All the little boys loving singing into the mic, Colin belting out the song with his whole heart. He really sang.  Loud and well.  And very expressive.  Family members you will not be disappointed to see this video (we do have the cord to connect it to the tv) Oh it is the most precious thing.  I get teary eyed watching the video each time.
Before and after Arts Camp all the kids were learning motions to "Satisfy Me." Colin and I would sing and practice it together at home and his favorite part was "you're beautiful... you're more than all this world can give... you're beautiful... you're love is all I need to live." And he would sing that part at random parts of the day.  Well today at church he managed to belt that part over 78 kids and music really loud and just loved singing it. He wasn't trying to be a ham up on stage - just sang his heart out it seemed just for God.  Brent said its one moment he'll always remember and we wished we had gotten on video tape.  Again precious and more tears for me watching. But then seeing all those kids singing that song every day would bring tears to my eyes.  All the kids did wonderful and there is always something so precious and cute about watching kids performances.  Colin is very sad its over and can't wait until next years Arts Camp.
One of the art projects was to decorate a silhouette and we talked about how God made each one of us unique just like all of their pictures were unique.  Colin did an alien.  He was very proud of it and talked about it all week.  His alien is now hanging on his art wall in his room.

1 comment:

Julie said...

i love this... I wish that we could have done it with you. In fact I wish we could just hang out!!! Need your number :)