Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Monday, September 06, 2021

Meet the teachers


Tomorrow we start school. And we are feeling a huge range of emotions this weekend. No one wants to go back and wear a mask all day. The boys were only in person 2 days a week. And they had an asynchronous day. Colin was only in school 1.5 months. Norah hasn’t stepped foot in school since March 2020. Now it’s 5 days a week, no asynchronous days. 

We did all the back to school things. Well at least for Norah. Norah knows several in her class. Three of them were also homeschooled and 2 were in her homeschool art class. Another friend was virtual. As was her teacher so her teacher said she was also nervous about being back in school.

Colin had orientation a few weeks earlier. I made him go because he hasn’t really been in the building. Halfway through I get a text that said thanks mom for forcing me to go. Complete sarcasm. They watched a video on social media (which he doesn’t have or care about) and what to do if someone posts a picture and you weren't invited. And that was the orientation. Next year he won’t be going.

Joel’s meet the teacher you had to sign up for a 15 minute time slot and parents weren’t allowed into the building. Also we didn’t get any information on this. I had to search the website and have a teacher friend find out his teachers. Because of covid they aren’t mailing schedules. Makes no sense but I found his team and signed him up. For the 6th grade orientation! Poor kid walked up and down the empty 7th grade hallway. He took longer than his 15 minutes and I was hoping he had found some friends. He walked out and said mom let’s go that was so embarrassing and awkward. He did meet his English and Math teachers. I told him if he can make it through that the rest of the year should be good. I hope.  

I told the kids we would just see what happens. I’m fully prepared to pull them all out this year and homeschool them. I’m praying for a good year for them. 


 

No comments: