Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Sunday, September 17, 2017

School days

This is how we felt about summer ending... none of us were ready to go back to school
Joel has been anxious all summer to start a new school again.  I was praying for his teacher and when we met her at the orientation we both relaxed.  She couldnt be more fun and perfect for Joel.  I have also never had a teacher email so many class notes about all that goes on during class so we can discuss them with our kids.  He loves school and I'm so so so glad. If he didnt like it there was no way we could get him to go peacefully. 

Joel leaves for the bus at 7 and the first week of school he was the only child up. Norah was still on summer time and Colin didn't have to get up until 7:30.  And then Joel gets home first. He kept telling me how lucky he is that he gets Mom and Dad alone in the morning and then just Mommy in the afternoon.  I do love that I get time with just Joel every afternoon.  We get 30 minutes together before Norah's bus comes. 

This girl was so excited to start school. She couldn't wait.

Our neighbor is Norah's teachers assistant and that helped a lot knowing Miss Beverly was there keeping an eye on Norah. 
The middle school orientation was very overwhelming.
Lockers, 7 class changes, a big school.  Colin and I walked all over the school following his schedule until  until I felt that he was comfortable getting off the bus and navigating his classes. 
I feel like we blinked and already we are at middle school.  And I know the next few years will just fly by even faster. 

First day of school photos. 



I take this cutie at 10:30.  Her backpack is bigger than she is.  She goes right into the cafeteria to eat lunch and then they go to their classroom.   Its been hard trying to figure out food for her.  She eats maybe two or three bites and that's all. Then shes starving when she gets home and then not hungry for dinner.

The first day Miss Beverly asked Norah to be her line leader and Norah went right in.  After that shes been more hesitant even to the point of holding onto my leg and having to be pried off.  I figured out its just going straight into lunch so I made a deal where she just has to eat her dessert and I feed her a snack before we go and its gone better.  She comes off the bus all smiles so that's good. 
This was Colin's face after the first day of school.  Thankfully its getting a little better.

And when your dress matches your backpack you walk into school feeling fabulous. 
Its still hard to convince Norah that kindergarten is fun.  Its all rules according to her.  At bedtime after the first day she sadly told me that her teacher said they were doing the exact same things the next day.  I told her once it becomes routine then they can get to the fun stuff. So I had to list all the fun stuff that she will eventually do.  We've been going over that list every day so hopefully she'll start doing them.

And for me - well its very sad to walk into a quiet house after dropping off Norah.  Its just three hours and really by the time I run a few errands and get home its time for them to start getting off the bus.

No comments: