Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Big Boy Bed

This little guy is sleeping in a big boy bed now. We're taking the toddler bed/crib down this weekend.  I guess I no longer have a baby.  He's been coming in bed with us since Christmas. I think I can count on one hand the number of times he has stayed in his own bed.  Usually this is what happens sometime in the middle of the night:
He likes to say "sleep mommy" and he does end up sleeping with mommy most nights. He doesn't start out that way but eventually sometime during the night he ends up that way.  I blame Brent :)  Back around Christmas Brent would go in the twin bed in Joels room in the mornings and they would fall back asleep for a few more hours and then everyone would wake up at a normal/reasonable hour instead of the 4/5am wake up that Joel wanted.  Brent was trying to be nice and let me sleep a few more hours then.  But then it became 10/11pm when Joel would wake up and only want to sleep in our bed.  Over the past few months we've discovered this boy moves in his sleep.  He is all over the bed.  And with Brent and I plus Joel in a double bed its too many people.  So we're hoping he'll sleep better in a regular twin bed and wont wake himself up as much.  He made it until 3:00am the other night until coming in bed with us. Progress!  One night a few weeks ago Brent came home after being out with some friends and frantically woke me up. He came home to Joel's door wide open, the bed rail on the other side of the room, and the crib mattress flipped over.  And a peaceful sleeping Joel was snuggled up next to me.  And I had no clue :)  The monitor was turned up all the way too (he is just across the hall but if you can hear him starting to wake up usually we can intercept him before he makes it into our bed) I still have no idea what happened that night. Guess I never will know what woke him enough to flip his mattress and fling his heavy bed rail across the room without waking me up. I hope he starts sleeping all night in his big bed.  But I do love all the snuggles and the hugs and kissses at night from Joel.  And his sleepy "wvu you mommy" as he climbs into bed next to me and snuggles close and falls back asleep.

Good thing Colin is sleeping amazingly lately.  I never thought that would happen :) But he does complain about his bed.
"Mommy I can't sleep - my back hurts." 
Why does your back hurt?
"Because of the springs in the mattress.  Have you ever heard of a sleep number bed?  They are great for your back and no springs! I need a sleep number bed to really get great sleep. Mommy can we get a sleep number bed? "
This goes on and on every few nights.  He is very informative about the sleep number beds. The little commercial he saw really stuck with him.  He could really be a spokesperson for the sleep number beds.

No comments: