Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Friday, October 30, 2009

another one bites the dust...


Last night around 9:00 Brent mentioned updating our blog so everyone could know that Colin is starting to get better.  I was too tired and exhausted to do it then (because I also have the swine flu) and said maybe in the morning if Colin is fever free (by then he would have gone 24 hours without a fever and wouldn't be contagious any more) and if Joel didnt get it.  When we were at the doctors office this week the doctor said it was highly unlikely that Joel would get it since he has all the immunities in breastmilk.   at 9:30 Joel woke up which is unusually for him and crying an awful cry.  We took his temperature - it was 99 - and noticed he was struggling to breathe.  At that point I stuck him in the car seat and went straight to the emergency room.  Our doctor said not to worry about temperatures but its the difficulty breathing that kills people with this virus and to not even question it - if they have trouble breathing then just go.  So we did.  The ride there was the most terrifying ride I've ever had.  I could hear Joel's raspy breathing in the back seat and couldnt see what was going on and thought I was losing him. We got to the ER along with the whole city filled with coughing patients. (and in 30 minutes even after giving him tylenol Joel's temp was over 101)  We had to wait a while (which i got mad because here was a baby having trouble breathing and we had to wait our turn)  They took xrays, blood tests and urine tests to rule out everything.  We are still waiting to hear back about a urine culture (having him catheterized was AWFUL)  Also having blood drawn took about 30 minutes of digging in his arm because they couldn't find a vein.  And I always hate it when doctors and nurses say that the baby can't feel the needle poking him - that they are just mad that they are being held down.  Ummm no he definitely screamed more when they put the needle in him.  And they had to get so much blood to test - poor guy.  So for now we are going to put him on tamiflu - what the rest of us are already on and hope he gets better soon.  We will take him to our pediatrician to get checked out too.  And the difficulty breathing is from all the congestion he has from the virus.  So I'm glad I was just a panicked mom and nothing else was wrong.  Brent so far is the only one who hasn't gotten it but he's on the medication so he shouldn't now.  And I'm hoping my baby will bounce back as quickly as Colin has.  He's tired of being cooped up in the house and woke up this morning ready to go.  The first thing Colin said  to me after I told him that baby Joel was now sick "mommy WHO KISSED HIM?" (and was very upset)  since we weren't allowing that this week.   I'm very tired but glad that my baby will be ok. I should've known though Joel has done nothing but defy doctors.they said he'd be born early,he wasn't.they said he would have a long delivery,he didn't.They said he wouldn't catch the flu,he did.


3 comments:

Abbey said...

I'm sorry that you had to go through all that in the ER. We've done it twice with Baby K and its so hard - K is a "hard stick" too - and boy can he feel them digging the needle in. We have a Ped. ER here - and they give sucrose water on the paci to help with the pain - I was thankful for that - it really helped K. Hopefully you never ever have to go through that again, but that is something you could ask about if you do. Did they do breathing treatments to help with his congestion?

Nystral Djo said...

jake had a catheter (and blood drawn) at 6 weeks - it was awful!! i feel your pain. will be praying for your family.

Julie said...

i am so sorry for all that fear. That is so sad... I know...HUGS