Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Thursday, May 21, 2009

strawberry hunting

Last weekend we went Strawberry hunting as Colin called it. My sister Mary came over to finish painting the baby's room and to go strawberry picking. This year he LOVED it. And the bigger the better. He picked the biggest strawberry I've ever seen and then accidently dropped it and stepped on it in his attempt to pick it back up - he still talks about that big strawbery... But it was a great time to go - not too hot, a great wind and we managed to do it between the rain storms we had Saturday. The place we went to was great. The owner came out and told us to taste all the different rows since there were different types and then took us to the best place to pick them. we will definitely go back to this one. I mean when the owner tells you the best way to pick the berries is one for your mouth, one for your basket you know you're in the right place! He might have been joking but Colin took him to heart and so did I! Brent and I first went 5 years ago with our good friends Mark and Leah and picked so much we made strawberry jam. Yummy! And we thought about making some this year but Colin is always asking for smoothies so we froze the ripest and juiciest and they do make good smoothies. We've also eaten strawberry shortcake almost every night this week. Sadly the strawberries are almost gone but since its less than a 20 minute drive Brent is talking about going back this weekend. We will see how it goes.Brent picks only the perfect strawberiesSaturday morning I found this at a yard sale. Colin loved it and calls it his Caterpillar. And one day when he's older he told me he wants to drive a real big CAT truck. I love the fact that it has pedals so he wears himself out trying to pedal it. His legs aren't quite long enough but he tries so hard. The other day we took it to the lake to feed the ducks. It was a long way back for us since I ended up pushing him back most of the wayWith Nana climbing. Colin LOVES his Nana. Nana and Ant Ant (my sisters) are two of his favorite people. Colin climbs this tree all the time and calls himself climb guy when he's doing it. He gets really far and scares me sometimes with how high he gets. Mary used to climb the same type of tree in my parents front yard when she was this age.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I MISS YARD SALES!!!! That is awesome, Eli and Jasper will want to play on when they come to visit :) Hopefully Colin will share :) And I miss Strawberry picking, did it all the time as a kid, yum

Bringing Up Boys said...

Yumm! Now if you'll excuse me but I feel the need to go get me some fresh strawberries!