Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Being a Dad


So it's been a long time since I've made a post. Truth is I think Abigail does a great job keeping up on all Colin does. She also takes more pictures than me, more video's, and let's face it... see's him more than me. Being a dad is THE greatest joy in life next to experiencing God. It doesn't matter what my day is like at work, but when I come home, Colin is there. I walk through the door (unless he meets me at my truck; which is often) and I yell "HELLO!" I wait for a few brief moments knowing that my little boy, with a huge smile on his face, will come high stepping around the corner of the hallway, and run full steam ahead into my arms. There IS no greater feeling than that. And that is just the beginning. I usually get home around 5:30 or 6pm and then have a little time to play with him before dinner. He loves trains and also instruments that make ANY noise. He usually grabs Abigail/grandma/any aunt's around/ and myself and we carry tambourines, cymbals, and a triangle around the house making horrific loud noises that somehow sound beautiful to Colin!

One of my favorite things to do with Colin is drive the R/C car I got for Christmas around the house with Colin following after me. Many times when I arrive home from work, he will pull me by the shirt, and take me to the remote control where he will look at me with his little eyes sternly and say "da" which is a universal word he uses to mean just about everything. In this case it means, "let's go daddy, take this and we are going to play." I grab the remote control and he grabs his pushable cart/toy/thingy with wheels on it. I chase him around the house with the car as he runs faster and faster in circles. Eventually one of us will turn and go in the opposite direction and crash into each other!

Being a dad is such a joy because you realize you are helping mold this little person into who they will become. As a Christian I want to instill values and morals of Godly character. Colin is beginning to get to the age where I can teach him more things and tell him right from wrong, but mostly its just about loving him and spending time with him. Helping him feel loved and giving him security. I want him to know that he can always goto dad and I will help him with whatever he is facing. At this point, its kissing his bo-boo's, looking for lost toys, and helping him up and down stairs! I'll take what I can get for now! I know I will be in over my head when he gets older and life becomes more complicated. For right now, I try not to take any day for granted and just spend as much time as possible with him. I'm not going to lie, I am very selfish and often want to do my own thing when coming home from work, but in reality its not hard to spend all your free time with God's most beautiful creation.... our kids.

1 comment:

Beth said...

What a fun post, Brent! Good to hear from you. It's so fun to read this blog and hear what a joy Colin is to both of you. Who knows, perhaps you'll inspire Wes and me someday. :) Who am I kidding... I'm the one who needs inspired, not Wes! ;)

We miss you guys and hope to see you sometime in the near future!