Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Color me rad




About a month ago Colin asked to run the Color me Rad race with him. I looked it up and saw that they were coming to our area in September. So I signed us up.  Joel heard about it and wanted to sign up too.  So we began  training every night with Joel to get ready for the race.
The gave us these face masks which helped as we went through the color stations to not breath all the chalk dust.


This race is more for having fun. Its very laid back. At 8:45 they asked if we were ready to start. The official starting time was 9:00. Our wave was scheduled for 9:30 but we got in line because I figured why not since we were already there.  Joel had assured us he would run.  But from the start people were walking. So he walked. And then ran and walked and ran and walked. And why would anyone think that was fun?  He was dying. He hated it. It was not what he signed up for. It was a nightmare. I didn't prepare him for the race. And on and on. At some point colin  left us and ran ahead and Joel and I made our way to the finish line. Towards the end was this small little mound of ground (cant really call it a hill in va beach) but he saw the finish line, started yelling "I can see it! I can see it!" and took off to the cheering on of everyone around him.  









We were given packets of chalk dust to bring to the race but we kept ours so Norah could get us when we got home.  She loved it.  

The rest of the day Joel kept referring to the race as his marathon and I'm sure it felt like that to him.  He did run more than a lot of adults on this race.  

Colin is ready for a longer, more intense race with no walkers to dodge while he makes his way to the finish line. I'm going to need to train harder just to keep up with Colin's pace. 


No comments: