Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Thursday, October 31, 2019

broken boneS

Last Thursday Colin went to play football with some friends at a nearby neighborhood park.  There isn't a side walk he can ride his bike on and its a pretty narrow road (I've lost my side view mirror on that road hiting a mailbox when a truck was crossing the yellow line) So I dropped him off. Told him I would pick him up around 6 and if he wanted to stay later to call.  About 15 minutes later I get a call from Colin and all he said was "mom I slipped" I got in the car right away and his arm was hanging limp when he walked to the car.  So off we went immdediately to get it looked at.

Poor thing was in so much pain. They took us back right away and sprayed some medicine that starts with an F up his nose. They said it would make him a little loopy and he was out of it. Kept telling me about his little predicament. "What a predicament I'm in." "Mom I'm in quite a predicament" haha poor thing.
He definitely broke a bone.  So off we went to the main children's hospital where they had the orthopedic surgeon coming in just for Colin.


He got to watch the redskins lose while he got his cast on. They gave him the option of being put to sleep while they set the bone or they could give him this numbing block which would be just a small pinch and some pressure. He chose the numbing block but said if he were do choose again he'd definitely be put to sleep. Poor thing felt every bone.  I was standing in the hallway and heard them snap his bone back in place. I think that's why they have parents stand outside. 


He broke his wrist on a growth plate so we go weekly for xrays and hope that it heals right of they said they might have to break it again.  He will also not be able to try out for his schools basketball team this year.  He is really upset about that.  It took him a few days to start feeling better.  He broke it on a Thursday night and didn't go back to school until Wednesday.  He was so swollen and had sausage fingers and could barely move.

I gave him a bell to ring and Joel answers it every time.  I would've thought that would grow old but Joel jumps to help Colin.
Then on Monday this little princess decides to do a backbend in the yard and landed funny on her arm.  She has a buckle fracture.  She doesn't go to the orthopedic surgeon until Friday so she's been home with me until they decide to keep it splinted or cast it.  She really doesn't feel any pain unless she tries to move her arm palm up.



Colin says Norah has a fake break because he is still in so much pain and she's just as active as can be.

Joel will be wrapped in bubble wrap from now on because this mother cant handle any more broken bones.  Joel is actually living his best life because I told him he could just sit and play as many video games as he could this week.  No more going outside and breaking any bones!

Colin was walking to the bus stop his first day back and I heard one of the neighbor boys tell everyone "we must protect Joel" haha and yes please protect Joel.  Two kids with broken bones is more than I can handle.

No comments: