Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Saturday, March 02, 2019

Birthday weekend

The kids had presidents day off from school so the original plan had been to take Colin skiing and Joel and Norah snow tubing.  We have not see one single snow flake this entire winter, despite all of Norah's snow dances.  We were all excited to go see some snow and play in it for the weekend.  Massanutten was all sold out of snow tubing spots so we were going to go to stay with mom and dad and go skiing and snow tubing at winterplace.  But then the weather didn't cooperate and rained the whole weekend.  So we cancelled the ski trip and went down to the Outer Banks instead.  I told the kids it was my birthday party and they kept saying thanks for inviting me to your birthday party mom! I wanted to do something fun that weekend. I was still getting over my latest mouth surgery and was getting the actual results on my birthday. Which thankfully went well and was a good gift - but I could've been getting opposite results from the biopsy so I wanted to celebrate early. 



We drove down Saturday after Colins basketball game and spent the rainy afternoon swimming in the hotel pool.






 The next day we went to the Wright Brothers Memorial and then to Jockeys Ridge.
 We had never taken them to the Wright Brothers Memorial and it had been years since I went. I think we went when I was in girl scouts once.

 They have makers where they started and launched the first flights. 4 were done that day. The kids started at the first marker and ran the length of the first flight. Then ran back to the starting marker. Back to the second and so forth. The fourth marker doesn't seem so far until you have to run it.  And Colin even made sure to pretend to touch down the several points they did in the actual flight.



 Haha - no explanation necessary. This boy is way too smart for his own good sometimes.


 We took this rubber band bird to Jockeys Ridge to fly it. The kids had fun winding it up and letting it go. Colin got it to go the farthest.





The aftermath of playing in the sand! 

 It was a quick weekend away and a great way to spend my birthday. 





No comments: