Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Journal

When Sarah and I graduated from college Grandma gave us this journal to share.  She said in a note that we could pass it around every six months but I've had it for a few years now so I guess its time to pass it back to sarah. She started it the day we were born. I guess having surprise twins 6 weeks early is something to write about! I like this one part where she wanted to babysit us so mom and dad could go to church but mom wanted to take us for the first time.  Grandma writes something about measles, colds, flu but how it was the last time she would interfere hahahaha  I love grandma but I don't think that was the last time she gave her strong opinion

Tonight I got it out and wanted to share this last journal entry when we graduated from college.

May 9, 2002

Dear Abigail and Sarah,
Just as quickly as you turned this page is how quickly you grew. It has been an enjoyable time following your wonderful life.  Such happy memories.  Some of which I will recall.

Shopping. It was fun to take you both shopping. I would tell you how much money I would allow  you and you would hit the sale racks. After selecting a bunch of clothing we would head to the dressing room when we had these piles. 1. Definitely. 2 Possibly, 3 reject. Then came decision time as you added up the items you wanted. Sometimes (but rarely) you would have to put something back but most of the time you were on  the mark.  You learned well.

Nebraska trips. Going to visit Lois and Wayne.  We took you twice and we will never forget camping in the Snowy Range, meeting all those relatives from all over the country, horse back riding, mom dad larry, Karen, abbey, and jerry going hiking and getting lost. Lois, Wayne, Howard and me thought we were going to have to raise you.  And Abigail - porta potties - How funny you were. You would stand outside the door - suck as much air in your lungs, fling the door open, do your business, and come out and let out a big gush of air. You were so funny.  And James' look up sheer delight when he was put on that horse. I have always been sorry I didn't have a camera

Beach week - that was a great time and we had such a good time. Jeffrey and Kerri were at a condo down the beach and they had a pool so you would walk up there. Remember James how he would get as far from the water as he could when we would walk. He loved the pool though.

How about camping. We told you when you could take showers we would take you camping. One day you tugged at grandpas leg and said "we take showers now" GP said "what did you say" and you repeated it. He wanted to know what you meat and I said "Its time to take them camping" We went to Emerald Isle with the Kelly's. At night we would all sit on the beach, Ann would hold one of you and I the other just watching the water and setting sun. 

Heres one on you sarah. We went out to eat one night and when we go to the table all these bottles (condiments) were sitting there. You picked up a bottle of catsup, slapped it down on the table all the while inquiring "what's this" when the catsup shot up in then splattered all over the table - talk about embarrassment.

We took a number of trips to va beach for the day and had great fun, but traffic got so heavy we stopped - a pity.

School activities - there were many. One in particular, you were in a skit and we attended. Were you out in front where we could see you - oh no. It looked like you forgot to get/stay on the back row. (not like little sister mary)

I could go on and on, but I don't want to leave out church for church and God have been a very vital part of your life and have made you who you are today. How does one even get through life without following Jesus. you both have a strong religious background which will sustain you through the difficulties you face. 

One more thing. When I started this journal little did I think I/we would be so close in your life, seeing you as often as we did. I thought once a month at most. But we have been included in so much of your life and I am thankful for it. Nothing would I change.

This in no way will replace the wonderful albums your mom has kept up.

Now go out and enjoy what life has to offer always remembering how much you are loved and how proud we are of you. Life is just beginning.

Much much love,
Gramma

No comments: