Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Done waiting

Four years ago on October 5, 2012 my grandfather entered heaven.  He held on longer than he probably should have because he didn't want to leave my grandma. 

Last night my grandma passed away.  October 5, 2016.  She couldn't wait another year to be with my grandpa. And all day today I can't help but think about how perfect that ending was for two people who loved each other so much. 

She told me once she fell in love with him when she was 13.  (When your son is 10 it puts this all in a whole different perspective)  But they loved each other so much and as I told Colin last night, I have no doubt Grandpa was right there with Jesus welcoming her into heaven.

It was expected and we were praying my grandma wouldn't have to suffer much longer. But its so hard today to realize that she and grandpa are really gone. They were a HUGE part of my life.

I went two weeks ago to see her and she looked smaller than Norah lying in bed.  I just kept telling her I love you when she would open her eyes and recognize me.  She tried to talk but couldn't and just kept looking at me and nodding.  It was a moment I will always remember.   She loved well and I always knew how much she loved me. 
 
We hadn't told the kids that grandma was that sick but yesterday morning Norah and I were driving to Walmart and Norah asked me why How-How died.  Colin talks about How-How all the time.    Then she asked me if Ooo-Eee was going to die.  I wasn't sure what to say so I said yes, Ooo-Eee probably was going to die soon.  (I didn't expect it to be later that night) 

Today Norah keeps catching me crying.  Each time she tells me "I miss Ooo-Eee" and then will pause and say "remember water country." When we were at water country this summer  I told the kids about one summer when Grandma took Sarah, James and I to water country (I think Mary was too little that time)  James would climb up all the stairs then get to the top of the ride and then chicken out.  So then my grandma would walk him all the way down.  After several times of this she got tired of not riding any rides so  she went on the ride and made James walk down all by himself.  The kids loved that story and I guess it stuck with Norah.  I think it must be Norah's favorite Ooo-eee memory right now! 



Its been fun to read all the comments people have made on facebook.  Brent commented that everyone wrote a paragraph sized comment about my grandparents.  It shows how loved they were and how well they loved others.  I feel very blessed and grateful to have been able to call them Grandma and Grandpa





No comments: