Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Hokie half

This summer Sarah signed up for the hokie half marathon and sent me the link.  She and our friend Sam were running it.  I thought about it but once July hit I didn't really run consistently and figured I wasn't in enough shape to do it and would pass and concentrate on training for the November Richmond half marathon that I had already signed up for.  I told Brent I was thinking about going to watch Sarah and Sam run it because that meant a weekend in Blacksburg with Sarah and Sam.  It's been years since I've really hung out with Sam so I really wanted to go.  He said go for it so I was already planning on hanging out for the weekend. Then we went to the football game and the idea of running around Blacksburg again was really appealing so I came home and signed up. We drove up saturday and walked around campus and drove around blacksburg.

 They humored me and walked up 4 flights of steps stairs to see my picture on the wall (which they have since moved!)
A lot has changed. A lot hasn't.  It felt like it was just yesterday we were walking around campus as students. And it was so good to just walk around campus and laugh with lifelong friends. Good for the soul.
 
Then we woke up before dawn and got ready to run. I forgot about how hilly blacksburg is and how steep some of the hills are. It was pretty much run up a steep hill run down a hill run back up another hill the whole race. But the three of us ran the whole thing!  I was so proud of us.  There is no way we could've done that when we were students. It does feel good to go back years later and be in better shape.  It was a really pretty run. And just a great weekend with friends. 
 
 
 

No comments: