Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Saturday, June 22, 2013

First swim meet

 We had our first swim meet today.  I just took Colin since it was at an away pool and we had no idea what time he would be swimming.  We were there 6 hours so I'm glad Brent stayed home with Norah and Joel.  Norah would've hated it.  The next meet is at our home pool so thankfully Brent can walk up with Norah and then go home a few hours to wait until the next event Colin swims. 
He did really well.  Colin was a little nervous - he must have gone to pee about 5 times before he swam but he did great.  He swam free, breast, and then a free relay.  He false started on free and got halfway down the pool before they jumped in and stopped him. And then started him again right away so he wasn't as fast but thats ok.  He swam his heart out.  He then swam breast-stroke and I was nervous for him.  He had only swam it once in practice and lets just say wasn't legal in any way :) But I worked a little bit with him and he did great. The coaches were amazed - at this first meet they just throw people in different events to see how they do. I heard them all cheering for him at the end and one saying - he's a breastroker! A proud mom moment right there.  I took a video - he did finish strong - I stopped the video so I could cheer my heart out and then remind him two hand touch :)

The timer didnt think he got DQ but I looked at the official time sheet later and he did.  In fact all but one kid got DQ in his age group.  A kid on the other team.... oh well.  I'm so proud of him. I teared up watching him.  I didnt think I would get so emotional watching him swim but its so different watching your own kid do it.  I spent a few years coaching other kids so having my own son out there is completely different.  And so much fun.  I'm so proud of him. 
 But I dont really care at this point what place he comes in and how fast he swims. (It is disappointing to have him DQ since he doesnt get a ribbon for his hard work - and he wants the ribbons)   Until he gets serious about  swimming these next pictures are what are important to me for  him to love this sport.  Because without the fun part the rest of it is just a lot of hard work. 

I think he's going to have a lot of fun with this group of boys this summer. 

No comments: