Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Monument Aveunue 10K


(Just before the race)

A few months ago, Sarah talked me into running the Monument Avenue 10k. I used to run 6 miles every day but that was many years ago... and definitely not since I had Colin. It seemed like a great idea at the time and a fun motivation to get into shape for running 6.2 miles. Well April 5th was here before I knew it or was ready for it. I had been running more and thought I was doing good but then I took my car to clock how far I had been running and it was only 2 miles instead of the 4 that I thought I had been running! My friend Tifiny went running with me while she was in town and really encouraged me saying the first 2 miles were the worst - and they were - but that there comes a point where your body gets in it and you can keep going.So leading up to yesterday I just kept telling myself that. So along with 30,000 people Sarah, Mary, Sam and I ran our first 10K. We were able to all run together - or at least start out together Mary took off shortly after we started and we didn't see her until the end. Its a really pretty run down monument avenue and there must have been 25 bands set up along the course playing for us as well as tons of people cheering. It started to downpour after we started but once we were running I really didn't notice the rain. The only hard part was my socks got soaked from the rain and I now have the blisters to remind me of the race. It was amazing seeing 30,000 people running and you just saw a wall of people when you looked ahead of you but I was surprised how well organized this event was. It took me about an hour to finish - as soon as the official times are up I will know for sure but I at least beat Sarah :) I sprinted in right before her! Here we are at the end of the race. The sun did come out - when we were walking to our cars! ha - but it was fun and now I'm looking forward to the next race I run in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You only beat me by .02 sec. Wait until next year.

tifi*cha cha* said...

i'm so proud of you! it's addicting huh?