Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Nap time at our house




Today I think Colin learned the art of getting out of a nap... or at least attempting to get out of a nap. Around nap time I took him into his room, sat in the rocking chair and started singing him some songs (which we do every time) He started to get sleepy and likes to put his hand in my face as he is drifting off to sleep. Well this time he managed to stick his hand in my mouth as I'm singing and apparently it tickled. He started to giggle which made me laugh (big mistake) and thus the nap time was pushed aside as Colin, now wide eyed and ready to play, wanted to be tickled again and tried to stick his hand in my mouth over and over. I stopped singing to him and just tried to rock him to calm him down and hopefully make him sleepy again. Our little boy is smart and tried to pry my mouth open with his finger. When that didn't work he eventually stopped and started rubbing his eyes. Nap time take 2.... this time he decided to stick his pacifier in MY mouth and actually got it in the first time - which was just as funny as his hand being tickled - maybe even funnier to him. At this point I just stick him in his crib for a few minutes hoping he'll tire himself out. I left to take a load of laundry to the basement and as I'm coming up the stairs I hear our ceiling light shaking that is directly under his room. Colin is now standing up and jumping up and down in his crib and shaking it so hard I'm afraid he'll hurt himself. He thought it was extremely fun and much better than a nap. As I'm getting him down for the 4th or 5th time (I've lost track by now) he all of a sudden starts clapping. FOR THE FIRST TIME! And how do you not praise something you've been trying to teach him for a while. I praise him and then start our nap time routine all over again but Colin is so proud of himself he keeps clapping - with a huge grin on his face. And he is really cute doing it - it was all I could do not to smile at him. He eventually fell asleep after and hour and a half and is now sleeping peacefully and will hopefully do it for a long time. I need a nap after all that. Lets hope this is a one time event and doesn't happen tomorrow during nap times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colin knows how to get exactly what he wants!! ha!!!! :-) I think James and I will have another dog before a kid...too much work ;-)

Beth said...

i SO enjoy reading these updates... and you just might have one of the cutest kids on the planet!!

abby, let's get together soon... i miss you, and want to know what's going on in that crazy life of yours.

much love!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Maybe if his crib was a bigger cardboard box, he would fall asleep sooner! We have to get you kids out of WVa! Cardboard furniture? No wonder their couches burn so easily.

Anonymous said...

We have several larger boxes in storage!