Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Friday, November 16, 2018

Camping

 As soon as I got home from Richmond we packed up the car and went camping with our friends Amanda and Jonathan.  The kids had all been planning this camping trip since the summer.
 
Our friends were up in Richmond as well that weekend at a swim meet so we met halfway at a campground in Sury. It was Chippoake State park.  And side note - Holly and I had left Richmond at 5am to get back and when we pulled in my driveway she realized she had left her purse at Sarah's with her only set of car keys in it.  So Sarah drove her purse to the swim meet and Amanda brought the purse to me. It all worked out - but the funny thing was Amanda's husband thought she had stolen the purse at the swim meet! haha!
 We finally upgraded our tent from a 2 man tent to one that fit our family. I think the key is to squish everyone in a tiny nonwaterproofed tent in the rain to then have a tent with room dividers a closet, and camping cots for them to be amazed.  The kids couldn't get over our huge tent.
 It was a really beautiful park. I had never been. We toured the old plantation home and learned a lot of the history of the area. It was in the 50s during the day and was supposed to be 60 the next day.  All was good until it got dark. And then it went into the 30s and got down to 31.  The kids were all bundled up in layers of clothes, their sleeping bags, and tons of blankets but Joel and Norah still ended up on the air mattress with Brent and I. I cant remember ever being that cold for so long. The night was pretty miserable. I think only Norah slept the whole night. We were all so happy to see the sunrise.

 
 


 
 Despite the cold it was a really fun camping trip. Its nice to unplug and get away in nature for a little while.  But we have agreed to never camp when its lower than 55 degrees.


 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 We were all asleep before 7 that night and it might be been the best nights sleep we've all had in a long time.  The next day at school was when I usually volunteer and all Norah could talk about was her fun camping trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Howard loved camping. One time, while driving up the hill leaving Sherando, he said “the reason I like camping is because you use a different set of cells.” That from an electrical engineer!
Uncle D