Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Jamestown

The kids had Monday off for Martin Luther King day so we met my parents and went to Jamestown.

 The kids and Pocahontas
 Growing up Grandpa  would always tell us we were related to Pocahontas..... Pocahontas Evans... but we thought it was the original Pocahontas. 
 I was disappointed when I finally  found out we weren't related to the real one.  Not that Pocahontas Evans wasn't as great - just maybe not an Indian princess. 

 They've found a lot of new information archeologically since I've last been there.  Its really amazing all they are finding. 
The boys are standing in the site of the very first church established. That was pretty cool thinking about their church services, many of them escaping to Jamestown to have religious freedom.

Behind where I was standing to take that picture of the boys, they've uncovered a kitchen with two ovens.... and the bones of Jane.  A 13 year old girl found there who has been named Jane.  And apparently Jane confirmed the stories and suspicion that they were cannibals at one time.  One winter they started with 500 settlers and in the spring only 60 were left alive.  Jane was found with knife marks all over her bones.  So I guess it was true. 

Joel and I were standing there looking at the kitchen and this older woman leaned over and said "and this is where they found Jane.  They ate her."  I hadn't read the information sign yet. 

Well Joel was all upset.  Why did they eat her... why would they do that?  Question after question.  So I took him away to look at something else and said it was probably just a rumor - since I hadn't been taught that in school. 

Well then we went into a museum where there is a whole wall dedicated to Jane and the unthinkable things they had to do to survive. 

  We got home just in time to drop Colin off at basketball.  Brent was putting Joel to bed that night and asked how Jamestown was. 

Joel: They ate a girl
Brent: WHAT???
Joel: They ate a girl

I knew Joel wasn't going to sleep that night.

Brent got him to bed and then came to find me and ask all about this.  So then Brent and I spent at least an hour discussing what we would've done.  Would we have eaten the neighbor girl next door or let our kids starve to death.

So needless to say we all learned something new this week at Jamestown. 

 Norah loved to jump off the benches

 








If those walls could talk...

It was a fun afternoon learning about our history - even if they did eat poor Jane 

No comments: