Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Schools out!!!

Today I officially have a 5th grader and a 2nd grader.


Its hard to believe that last year this time we were packing up and leaving out house to live with mom and dad for what we thought was a few weeks but ended up the whole summer.  I keep thinking back to last year this time and what a crazy time it was. But I'm very grateful for where we ended up.


Colin's teacher was AMAZING! Its no wonder she was teacher of the year for two years.  I am very sad she wont be moving up to 5th grade with Colin but I keep begging her to!  I can't say enough great things about her.  She is wonderful and Colin really loved it.  His only complaint this year was the early alarm and has requested black out curtains (that I'm working on) so he can sleep in late all summer.  Now if Norah and Joel can get on that it will be wonderful! 

Colin got straight A's all year (which earned him the superintendents award) but he was never bored in class.  What most people take several days to grasp, Colin can get it the first time and then helps the others.  His teacher told me that she could always count on Colin to "get it" when no one else did and to explain it in terms that his classmates could get.  Colin has tested into the gifted program and I am a little nervous because he has done so well and has grown in confidence this year. But we are just praying for a great teacher again next year.  It also helps that one of the gifted classes is right next door to his current class so his teacher has said she will keep an eye on Colin next year.
 I love this picture because you can tell how well loved Colin is by his teacher
 And the other teacher was a resource teacher that pulled kids out and worked with them.  Colin didn't really work with her but she clearly loved him as well.  She mentioned tropical storm Colin to him and Colin thought she meant a tropical fruit stand - which made everyone laugh
That was his card to her 

He received the PE award, Math award, and superintendents award - so proud of him
Colin's teacher had all the kids write down attributes of each other and then gave these to the kids. His peers described him perfectly. 


Joel had a harder year.  For one he had trouble on the bus but things got better when we started driving him.  His teacher is really very nice but very no nonsense.  Which is a good thing but I think he saved up every ounce of strongwilled power for home and we had some very rough months.  There was a few weeks that I was almost ready to pull him out but kept him in and am so so glad we did.  He started to really thrive this spring. Its hard to describe the change but I'm glad it ended well. And I'm also glad we went through a few rough months with him because I feel like I've learned (at least for now) how to read him better.  He talks more about his days than Colin did but I learned when it had been a rough day he would start to act out at home. Not listen and whiny and complaining and then really not listening.  So instead of sending him to his room when he would get in trouble I started sitting down with him and hug him and it made a huge difference.  He is very sensitive but when things bother him he acts out. So we learned a lot and I'm glad to learn all of that now than later when its too late.  I will have to say I hated homework with Joel.  He had an incredible amount and some of it was ridiculous.  It was hard to motivate him most nights to do it. Every 1st grade class had the same amount.  My neighbor and I would send texts at night about some of it and we were both so excited when they stopped homework the last two weeks of school.  I think the kids were surprised at how excited we got talking about no homework!

His teacher gave out personal awards and it was fun to hear what she gave each kid.  She gave Joel the Thorough Thinker Award because she said he doesn't speak up very often but when he does she knew it was always well thought out.  That's Joel.  I was very surprised when he was really sad this week about school ending.  Thats when you know its worth it all.  I am also amazed at how well he is reading.  He could barely read hop on pop books last summer and right now he is nose deep into a big chapter book.  I think he is even reading at a higher level than Colin was at this point. 

 Joels class put on a play for all the parents. Everyone has a part in a story and that was Joels favorite thing to talk about when he came home each day.  They would read a script and everyone would get a different part.  It was fun watching it - he was so worried that I would miss that part.  Both Colin and Joels awards ceremonies, field days, and end of the year parties were all on the same day same time. Brent can usually pick his schedule (perks of owning your own business) but that day he had to be at work - go figure - so Norah and I went to Colin's in the morning and Joel's in the afternoon. 

His school also had a fun run to raise money for the school and Joel ran 35 laps.  I pledged per lap - I didnt know you could just give a flat donation!  haha but was very proud of him.  They had dance parties and pep rallys the whole week leading up to it.  The fun part for me was that a college friend's daughter also goes to Joels school so we've been able to see each other at all the school events.  Well another friend of ours (that I haven't seen since Brent and I were first married) walked in with her.  A fun surprise for me to see Brie and hang out with her that morning! 
not the best picture of us but it was a great surprise

So long school!  I'm so excited to have all my kids all day long for the next few months. 




No comments: