Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

Monday, July 26, 2010

Weekend fun

This weekend we had record breaking temperatures.  I've heard the heat index was over 110.  It was 100 degrees in the shade at our house in the afternoon.  So what did we do?  We went blueberry picking. We went earliery in the morning but were all still dripping with sweat after we were done. I think everyone ate their weight in blueberries.  They were so good.  We were only there an hour but were dripping with sweat and so hot so we left. 
It was a fun morning.  The kids loved it and didn't seem to mind being in the sweaty outside (as Colin says)  Then we came home and spent 4 hours to take down a broken ceiling fan and install another one.   But for those who are good at electricity - our old light/ceiling fan was on two switches - one for the fan and one for the light.  now its on 1 switch.  Not a big deal but how can we get it back to 2 in case i just need to turn on the light in the room?  there was one extra red wire that we just capped that might be able to connect with the blue/black wires?  maybe?  We haven't thought too much on it since it was up and worked. Then we went over to my grandparents house for dinner. my uncle made ribs.  It was the first time my parents or I had eaten ribs since a family vacation year and years ago. Before Mary was born.  I think we need to eat some more often.  They were very good. Joel ate my moms whole piece of blueberry pie and then finished off Colin's ice cream.
Then on Sunday we went to a park with our friends Sarah and Brian and Colin and I got to do this:
It was so fun. Brian and Sarah own kayaks and Brent and I would love to get some. We went kayaking years ago in NH and since then have always talked about getting them.  And now the discussion has continued :)  It would be so much fun around here with all the water.  Colin loved it and keeps asking to go again.  The only thing would be to figure out what to do with Joel if we got them now since we'd all want to go out together... so we're talking about it more.  We grilled out and then played Frisbee golf - all in the heat.  I think we were all very grateful for our air conditioned cars when we were done. 
Thank you Sarah and Brian for braving the heat and taking us out on your kayaks and for a yummy dinner. Lets do it again - only on a not so hot day :)

4 comments:

Kristin said...

kayaks!! if you get some, you can count me in! :) i went tubing the weekend with my young adult group at Lake Gaston.. and the water was even hot! what a weekend.

Sabasue said...

thanks for coming over to our side of the water and sharing your delicious blueberries!

Aunt Angela said...

I've always preferred blueberry picking over strawberry picking! <3 the blueberries!

Julie said...

I am so jealous over the blueberries YUM, they are so expensive here. LAME. WOW
And how fun you got to go in the kayak...
hey what is your skpe name? Would love to chat with you!